Business Litigation. Pittsburgh Strong.®
Amber Reiner Skovdal is an experienced attorney in our firm’s Business Litigation and Intellectual Property practice groups with a particular emphasis on business to business litigation, breach of contract business disputes, insurance coverage and bad faith law, intellectual property infringement actions, counseling and litigation on trade secrets and DTSALaw®, restrictive covenant and non-complete employment issues, environmental and energy law, litigation of underground utility disputes, and the developing and growing practice area of cannabis, marijuana and hemp products law. She is lead counsel on numerous statewide litigation matters involving construction and property disputes between utilities over underground lines and pipes. She is on our litigation teams handling complex trademark infringement and other Lanham Act claims. Ms. Reiner Skovdal is currently part of the lead trial teams working on patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation and Defend Trade Secret Act (DTSA) litigation. She is admitted in Pennsylvania and West Virginia and in various Federal District Courts in both states.
Amber has also handled diverse matters involving insurance and bad faith, products liability defense, employment and restrictive covenant disputes, and the defense of industrial accidents and other catastrophic injury matters. She has represented energy and construction industry clients in environmental compliance issues and breach of contract and negligence disputes. She also has experience representing public entities and nonprofits in various employment and shareholder disputes.
As a compliment to her business litigation practice, Amber is also growing the firm’s Cannabis Law practice. To that end, she works with cultivators, manufacturers, distributors, and businesses with connections and relationships in this emerging industry to navigate the rapidly-evolving laws and regulations. Amber has a particular interest in the hemp and CBD space.
Across her entire practice, Amber is most passionate about representing and advancing women, minorities and underrepresented individuals in the business community at large. Studies have long since shown that gender and ethnic diversity have a positive impact on profitability – something every company strives to maximize. Amber wants to help these groups maximize their opportunities by assisting in overcoming legal and business obstacles and ensuring that they have equal access to counsel.
Ms. Reiner Skovdal is active in numerous legal and professional organizations and holds leadership positions in the Federal Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, and in the DRI Cannabis Law Committee where she is actively planning and participating in legal education and CLE programs. Amber has been voted by her peers to be a Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star in Business Litigation. She is very active in Women Lawyers Networking groups and in community initiatives. She can be found on Twitter @AmberRSkovdal and on LinkedIn.
DTSALaw® and Business Litigation. Pittsburgh Strong.® are federally registered trademarks of Houston Harbaugh, P.C.
- Volunteer Attorney, Neighborhood Legal Services
- Dog Lover
- Intellectual property litigation:
- Patent Infringement
- Served as lead and local counsel in patent infringement matters involving industrial equipment, medical devices, and software components.
- Trade secrets
- Represented insurance brokerage firms in cases involving former employee’s theft of confidential, trade secreted information to assist new employer to unfairly compete with former employer.
- Represent employers in enforcement of non-solicitation and non-competition agreements.
- Trademark Infringement and dilution
- Represent clients in the protection of registered marks and defense in cases of accused infringement.
- Represented employment agency against individual for trademark infringement and Lanham Act violations following improper use of company logo.
- Patent Infringement
- Commercial contracts & business torts (negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent misrepresentation, restraint of trade, etc.)
- Represented inventor/owner of portable alarm system in breach of contract action with manufacturer of component parts.
- Represents nationwide utility locating company in matters involving the location of underground public utilities.
- Represented various manufacturers and retailers in cases involving accusations of defective products including chairs, sports equipment, industrial and construction equipment.
- Represented Canadian steel and scrap metal contractor in breach of contract action with a buyer/vendor.
- Defended minority-owned gas station retailer in dispute regarding software licensing agreement.
- Represented minority-owned business to negotiate sales representation agreement in power transformer industry
- Defended out of state county in action filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania in action alleging violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1871, 42 U.S.C. § 1983, related to termination of government employee.
- Represented commercial property owner in breach of lease agreement and eviction.
- Defended auto mechanic in actions against PennDOT for safety inspection violations.
- Represented nonprofit in complex, governance and fiduciary duty action related to mismanagement of funds.
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith litigation
- Representation of insurer in bad faith action arising out of dispute for underinsured motorist coverage.
- Representation of insurer of employer in breach of contract and bad faith action against employee related to automobile accident.
- Representation of insurer in suit seeking coverage for claims involving construction defects on commercial and residential properties.
- Represent insurer in actions brought by homeowners for property coverage disputes.